Praise !

The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked came against me to eat up my flesh, my enemies and foes, they stumbled and fell. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear....Psalm 27 1-3
Psalm 31: 7, 8
I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy; for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;
And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy; thou hast set my feet in a large room.


Sunday, February 19, 2017

Both Wilburs are finished !

Last week, I finished the Big and Little Wilbur quilt-tops.  I mailed them on Friday, and Jodie received them Monday.  It was a couple of days before I heard from her, due to health problems she's having, and I was actually worried that she didn't like my work this time !    Blessedly, she assured me a couple of days later that she was thrilled with both works.

Big Wilbur was a kit, and I hand-appliqued it to look just like their version, except that JoAnn had me add a 6-inch border of a large red floral fabric from the same line.  I didn't take a finished picture of that one.

Little Wilbur was made from a set of half-yard pieces of the complete Purebred line of fabrics.   She left it up to me to come up with a design, setting, size......EVERYTHING.  She gave me the names of several quilt designs that she liked from the Craftsy site.  I chose to adapt the design from a pattern called "Peachy Keen", resizing some of the proportions.  I renamed my design  "Don't Fence Me In", as I proceeded to piece 'corrals' around each of my horses.

 Of course, Little Wilbur was the star of the quilt, so he was top center.  Instead of a corral, he was surrounded by a wreath of roses, as though he had just won the Kentucky Derby (a fanciful notion for which I have absolutely no basis).

 Four 'corrals' encircled printed ponies that were too finely detailed for me to feel comfortable appliqueing on the printed edges.  So I did what I called 'shadowing', leaving about a 1/4 inch width of the cream background showing around each pony when I appliqued him onto his new background of a woodgrain print from the collection.

The rest of the 'corrals' contained ponies or a red-roofed stable that had been fussy-cut from the landscape fabric from the same line.

When the center was finished, I still needed a border to bring the quilt up to a good usable size.  JoAnn had requested that I use the same red floral fabric, and make the border the same size as on the Big Wilbur quilt.  So, rather than be redundant, I designed a 'rail fence' border to enclose the horses in their corrals.  I only had enough of a light fabric remaining to make a single rail, but I think it is still effective.

I was really pleased at the finished quilt-top.  The size was big enough to make a bed-covering for a twin-sized bed, thought it isn't a true twin-size.  She is planning to surprise her granddaughter with this quilt, so I'm hoping to come up with a little bit of a surprise to add to it myself.  We'll see if I find  the time.

Spring is trying it's best to sneak in early this year, with my Buttercups blooming hesitantly, and my Lilac bush leafing out.   I fear that Winter is going to send her scampering back into hiding, biting off all the tree buds, but I surely love the little bursts of fresh color in the meantime !

Hubby goes in for his second 3-day session of this new chemo treatment this coming week.  He is suffering with knee-pain in his left leg (which has always been his GOOD one) this weekend, and his feet keep swelling horribly.  Thank you for your continued prayers for him and myself.   Without God's presence, we couldn't go on.

I am so very thankful for JoAnn providing my 'escape' with these projects that she sends me.  And you should just SEE the box of fabric that she sent my way this week just to clear out her OWN shelves !  God bless JoAnn Gilley !






Sunday, February 5, 2017

Bonus baby quilt

My friend, JodieAnn, is cleaning out and redoing her sewing room, so, I got a couple of fun boxes full of scraps and pieces in the mail !  Included was a small pile of triangles that were matched with a solid yellow fabric.  After trying several layouts, I concluded that the prints would look better if they were paired with white.

So I decided to use a piece that I had just ordered from Connecting Threads (Starbursts and Flowers, from the Whisper Palette).  It made for a beautiful background fabric.  I played with the design last Sunday, and yesterday I got to put it all together.

Now my frustration is that I don't have a big enough piece of batting to use for this (I need a 45 inch square) without cutting into my roll of Pellon 80/20 that I got from Walmart.  It is 96 inches wide and I hate to cut into it for smaller quilts.  I may just break down and purchase a 45 x 60 sized batt if I can find one locally.  But for now, I can concentrate on piecing a back that will fit.