*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Saturday, June 11, 2022

FINISH (QUILT) for early June.......it's NOT a RUG ! "Plus Diagonal"

Original design

 When I posted a photo of the top of this quilt when I first finished piecing it, a friend later commented that she loved my rug that she saw a photo of !   That was on Facebook where I didn't take the time to explain what it was.     No........although it would make a luscious rug....believe me, I've walked across it a few times while straightening it out for photos.....it is a twin-size topper quilt.  It lacks a few inches being long enough to tuck at the end of the bed, but it will definitely serve to provide an extra layer of warmth on cold nights !

Finishing (before laundering, which I have yet to do) at approximately 63 inches by 81 inches, I used 5 1/2 inch binding strips in solid navy fabric, to give it a wide binding resembling the edge of a blanket. I really like the look.  Although I sewed the binding down to the back side by hand, I took the time to also go around it once, in the ditch from the front side, by machine, just to make sure the edging was more durable.  I hope for the quilt to be used, either by myself or by someone to whom I gift it.

The purple that you see is an extra mattress lying beneath the top one.  So you can see that the end of the quilt just comes over the edge of an average twin mattress, but isn't long enough to tuck.   But the sides are nice and generously long.


I wanted to get a nice close-up shot of the fabric that makes up the background.  From Walmart, it's like a map of the world.......partial, that is.


This backing fabric was sold on Fabric.com, and was 56 or so inches wide.  Thankfully, I had just the right solid color to match the print for the strip down the middle.

In this photo, you can see a bit of the quilting.  The plus blocks were all quilted in the ditch, including around the little green squares on some of the blocks.  Then I did a large meander in all of the background, finally getting  my Jazz 2 to cooperate for some free-motion quilting.



2 comments:

  1. Really beautiful. I admire your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors and the background fabric from Walmart....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !