*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Friday, January 15, 2010

Two sides to every story......

That's the name of Zoe's quilt.

......no, really, that's the new name of this quilt !

All bound, washed and dried !

Can you see how flat her binding lies? I took some tips from a quilting forum, since not one of you dear friends had any advice to offer when I asked ! I actually measured and cut the binding to the measurement of the center of the quilt, and then pinned it on before sewing, so that it didn't stretch, thereby drawing up the edge of the quilt.

Oops.............did I forget to tell you that I made it totally reversible?

I did ! Oh, my bad ! Yes, yes.........this is in homage to the wonderful quilters from these three blogs..... http://www.filminthefridge.com/ and http://www.redpepperquilts.com/
and
fromthehandbasket.blogspot.com/2009/11/weekend-progress-r... (and bits and pieces from most all of you whose blogs I visit.......you know who you are, and if I need to mention you, give me a nudge.)
You all inspire me DAILY and I had to start machine-quilting, just so that I could try some of these wonderful pieced quilts and backs, like you make. Thanks, girls !

Yep, loving the brights one week........the next week, I'm a purple girl. Actually, the purple bigger blocks were pieced for the front, but I didn't like them there.......and the back just came together ! (yeh, dolly, after about 7 or 8 hours of hair-pulling, rearranging, cutting, piecing, ripping...........)

I love this........all ready for snuggling under........the next best thing to a hug from Nana !

And now, let's give THIS little girly a big hand ! A beautiful, useful quilt, totally made on her little surface. She's been with me for 31 years and has NEVER let me down. Of course, she's been around alot longer than that, and probably could tell tales of gorgeous quilts extraoidinaire............but she's very modest. She sits quietly in a corner, unnoticed, with a sweet little Mona Lisa smile playing around her bobbin case. We get together weekly, and like me, she tends to 'run on' a little bit, as my best gal, JoAnn, remembers, but she's left her mark on me and my quilts.......in the best possible way.

She deserves a name, but, alas, she's never told me what it is, and I would feel like I was imposing MY personality on her if I tried to give her one now. Maybe someday she'll share it with me during a quiet moment, but for now, we understand each other, and names aren't necessary.

Thank heavens........after all, I've changed mine so many times, she'd be thoroughly confused !

********************************************************************
Wait a doggone minute ! What's this??????????



I don't wanna talk about it..........I'm fine.......really! I'M FINE.......mean old quilting fairies !

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dolly! What a wonderful quilt - so bright and sooooo well made! Of course I love the use of the white sashing to make the colors pop, and the pieced backing is just as lovely as the front.

    Thank you for the link, and I am ever so happy to have provided you with just a little inspiration.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Dolly! And as seems to be the case with these reversible quilts, the back is just as interesting. I too love the white sashing - will be hard for me to get myself to not use white. Zoe is a lucky little girl who I know will treasure this for years to come.

    Your machine truly looks like a loyal friend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just gorgeous, and I can't decide if I like the front or the back better!
    You do fabulous work!(and I didn't offer any advice, cuz I would have been asking you for some, you are more experienced at quilting than I am:)

    What a great machine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! And what's this remark about not getting advice on binding! HA! Your awesome bindings are what got my attention over 20 years ago - so I had NOTHING to offer in that dept! The quilt name is fitting :) Zos is gonna love this quilt! Can't wait to see what the next one is about!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh DOlly this is amazing. i absolutely love the way you quilted it. what a special "hug" from you. I love the pieced backing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Dolly,

    I'm so glad that I found your wonderful blog through flickr. This really is a gorgeous and amazing quilt!
    Actually I love all the quilts that I've seen from your hand.

    Hugs,Marjon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dolly, this is one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen!!! I absolutely love it. I'm a newbie quilter and experienced fabric stasher, just making my first quilt.

    I'm definitely coming back to your blog for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt (super partial to the back) and your sewing machine stories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !