*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival entry------"Sea Glass" or "Beach Glass"




I hope you're enjoying this year's Spring Bloggers' QUILT FESTIVAL !  I'm honored that you're checking out my entry.......enjoy !
I jumped the starting line by sharing pictures of this quilt a couple of days ago  ...more of the making of this quilt can be found in my 2 previous posts; just click "older post" when you have finished reading this one if you're interested in who, how, and why this quilt was made...  I wish I hadn't shown it already , but many of you haven't read my blog before, so I wanted to share it with you as my entry. 
Front of quilt
To me, this quilt sums up a year of being exposed to younger, more contemporary quilters.  I didn't know about the quilt festival last Spring, but participated last Fall.  That entry reflected my former quilting history.
Thanks to literal isolation (due to my move), offset by virtual inclusion (via the internet) to the quilting world, my quilts have changed dramatically.

close-up of orange squares

I am in love with the simpler lines and methods of today's quilts.  Machine-quilting is a joy to me now, and although I'd never want to give up making hand-quilted quilts, I now appreciate the convenience, and, yes, the beauty, of a machine-quilted quilt, and one has to mention.........THE SPEED of FINISHING !
back side of quilt
                             
One of the HUGE differences I can now enjoy is the use of pieced backs........now, I don't mean the two seams used to piece together yardage of a single fabric for a back (yes, girls, that's OLD SCHOOL......that's what me and MY girlfriends called 'a pieced back').  No, I mean that since I no longer have to worry about forcing my hand-needle through multiple seams, I can enjoy a whole separate quilt design on the other side of the quilt.........it's almost wrong to even call them backs anymore !
Photo of quilt's binding (and hidden label)

I bound the quilt yesterday, finishing today, and decided to use the 'dirty green' for the bottom and top borders, and the tan for both sides, with just a little swatch of the red-orange thrown in for pop. Now unlike today's modern quilters, who know the name of every fabric they use (sort-of reminds me of a certain girlfriend of mine from the old days----Jodie !)  I do not know the name of these solids, and they are certainly not today's Kona's.  The pale turquoise was always referred to as "Byrd's turquoise", by Wanda, Jodie and me, as we all bought it at a little store, called "Byrd's",  in McLoud, Oklahoma, when they put their fabric on sale once.  We had so much yardage of their solids, and kept them for so long, that most of them had a faded mark along the fold line when we did get around to trying to use them.  In fact, that was the only fabric in these strips that was cut along the lengthwise grain, because of that faded line, and let me tell you, it caused me a lot of trouble trying to get it not to make the other strips pucker when I stitched them to it !

Label of quilt

When searching for a label, I ran across little mini-motifs that were leftover from T.J.'s baby transportation quilt, and one of them, the boat, was just perfect for a label........the colors are exactly the same as what is in the fishing-village fabric.......my LORD does little things like that for me all the time.........HE is so good !
So anyway, I 'hid' the label up there in the 'fishing village'. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Here are a couple of photos of the quilt after pulling it out of the dryer.  I need to learn to make sure that the entire quilt is equally quilted, as the big blank rectangles tend to kindof wrinkle up differently from the more concentrated areas, after washing and drying.  Still, all in all, it's my favorite quilt I've made in awhile. 
I hope to get it boxed up and sent off to Seth, in Oklahoma, very soon.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Feel free to click on the "follow" button ---> if you think you'd like to keep up with my blog........I love to find fellow crafters who are interested in the same things as me !
And, remember,........ if you haven't already read of the beginning of this quilt, it's story is in the next two posts you find here.

64 comments:

  1. I love solid quilts - yours is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an elegant quilt. Thank you for sharing. Your blog is beautiful.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow very impressive - the quilt and your attitude! I am feeling very old school, having just finished hand quilting my quilt and with nothing interesting on my back! I'm going to have to get with the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dolly - It's so nice to meet you. I was intrigued by the name "sea glass" - it's one of my favorite things to collect. I have to say that this quilt is spectacular and you've really captured the concept of sea glass in an abstract way. Front and "back" - it is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you already know i love it...it looks so great. i love the label you stuck in there. i am really bad at labeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful! For no reason I can think of, it reminds me of St Ives in Cornwall. The minimalist design really appeals to me, and the village fabric is soo cool! The reverse side is great too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness for the internet where we can get all this inspiration. I love the front of your quilt and the village fabric reminds me of Maine (where we found a bit of sea glass!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this quilt! First of all the design on the front with all solid fabrics. Then the back uses such fun fabrics. And the quilting design is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that label, it is the perfect finishing touch!
    Thanks for sharing the quilt festival, I am going to join in too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially love what you did with the back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to the world or reversible aka double sided quilts. Love the simplicity of your one. It shows off the fabrics really well.
    I live south west of Nashville as well :) Hope you did not have too bad of an experience with the flood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally LOVE the modern look to this quilt. What a GREAT way to use printy fabric too - on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting quilt. And the back is just as pretty as the front. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the simplicity of this quilt! And the name Sea Glass is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the look of this quilt, front and back!
    I especially like the way you incorporated the label into the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this quilt! Just beautiful and so well put together! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the solids, and the quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love those little tiny orange squares! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice quilt. I like the more simple lines as well and the more I see of these modern quilts the more I like them. And your right it is almost a crime to call the backs, backs. They are actually 2 quilts in one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those fantastic bits of red!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your encouraging comment on my blog! This is a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great quilt! It's so graphic and clean, and the back is more traditional, but still modern. You really put a lot of thought into it!

    I have had a similar journey in the last few years with some of the same bloggers "modernizing" me too. Have you seen Handmadebyalissa's blog? Or OhFransson? They are my two faves.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This quilt is gorgeous! So modern and peaceful and beautiful! It makes me think of looking out over the beach and the breaking waves to the open ocean and the dots of ships on the horizon. I really love the way the vertical quilting lines echo those pretty little squares of color. And that fabric on the back! Where on earth did you find it? I've never seen it before and it's just lovely. The label you found is perfect, too. Your grandson is going to love it. I can see why you'd be very proud of this quilt and why you would choose it for the festival; it's stunning. And thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment on my post; I'm happy that it touched a fellow quilter. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love love love love love - I love the clean simple lines, the clean colors, the gorgeous back and the label, every single inch of it. It takes me right to the seashore. FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Me too! I am loving this modern trend in quilts. Great quilt.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very striking quilt! Simple lines and very appealing. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this quilt. Right up my alley with the linear style. But most of all I love the label. What a lucky boy to have such a talented Nana.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your quilt--I'm new to quilting and this is the type I've been attempting. Well done! jd

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love solid quilts. I'm currently collecting them but haven't yet decided what I'm going to do. One day I will wake up and start creating something. Your quilt is wonderful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice modern quilt! I love the back also.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great quilt this is! I love the colors and those lines are the perfect choice for quilting this. The back is so fun, especially with the name you gave this. So happy to have found your blog and see this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! your quilt is really sweet! I like the different front and backs to the quilt. almost a two for one and you can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a lovely quilt, and I clicked over to see your previous entry - wow, you weren't kidding when you said your quilting style has changed! Both are beautiful, but I especially like the simplicity and spare elegance of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  34. your quilt is a work of art-and you sound liberated!

    that's what I love about quilting-- so many different types of quilting to explore. You can grow and change many times.
    I love pieced backing too and they really don't have to be the back any more.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fun quilt! I love the solid colors that you chose to use, and your layout is interesting - keeps your eye moving. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful quilt! I have to admit that I like the back even better than the front - it has such a lovely "day on the beach" feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Terrific quilt! I love the little squares and pops of yellow and orange.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My quilting, too, has changed because of so many contemporary quilters on the good 'ol internet. My local quilters think my taste is a bit weird, but that's ok :)

    I love this quilt. Solids are my new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the idea of a reversable quilt another one for the future projects pile.
    Happy quilting.
    Georgie x

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love this quilt! It's so thoughtful and interesting without being crazy-busy.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I too like the simpler designs and love the look of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love this quilt. It is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. your change in style is inspiring - I LOVE this quilt's simplicity. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a beautiful quilt -- clean and simple lines with such a dramatic effect. I absolutely love the back. I enjoy pieced backs as well, though I can see how they would be a disadvantage to a hand quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I've never worked with solids before and I really admire what you've done. I'll have to try a quilt with solids soon. And your label is very clever. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Solids scare me but your quilt is an inspiration and I love the back too - another quilt as you say! Thanks for sharing, Lis x

    ReplyDelete
  47. I very much enjoyed your post!! And your quilt turned out so beautiful - I totally feel like making a quilt entirely with solids now, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Fun quilt. And the name is so appropriate. Great job.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. As soon as I saw this I thought of the seaside and then I saw the back and there was the fishing village! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love this! Very elegant and inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I really like this quilt. It is very beautiful with the simple lines, and I loved the effect of the few red pieces. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Fun colors - love the contemporary style --- By the way, what the border of your quilt. It looks like rope! Again, what a fun quilt. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. the front is really neat... i have yet to try a solids quilt, but yours is quite inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  54. what a strong minimalist graphic quilt and the back helps finish off the quilt. Thanks.
    Come see my antique quilt entries
    http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com
    http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love the abstract nature of your quilt! Gives me some new ideas, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love the stripes on the back or was that the front ;)
    It's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Dolly, this is really cool! Both sides are so unique and fun :-)

    Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

    ReplyDelete
  58. I love BOTH sides of your quilt for Seth! How FUN. : ) I also appreciate the simplicity of the quilt's color, line, and design. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Just found your blog. This quilt resonates with me as I recently made a quilt with strips & am working on another - so much less fiddly cutting

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !