*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Wednesday, March 15, 2023

FINISH: Actual 3rd Commission quilt--Color Stripes

I did not use that poison green solid for the back.....my daughter voted it down, via text, so I used a Marshall Dry Goods mottled blue from their Tie-dyed solids collection, found at my local fabric store.  No photo of back or finished quilt......sorry !

 That's right.....I've taken the quilts to be approved, and forgetting to take the last one that I posted about, my sister-in-law loved the other three......this one, the scrappy string quilt, and the orange barn star !  She took all three without quibbling about the prices that I asked.  

  I'm happy that she's happy, and I'm ecstatic that this commission is fulfilled. (In fact, I was so thrilled to be finished --with this 3 months of work--that I didn't even get a photo of the last quilt after it was quilted !

Finishing larger than the others, at 50" x 70",  knowing that this quilt had lots of black, and being fresh out of the dryer, I didn't dare lay it on my carpet for a photo (remember, I have two in-house cats!), and these people are not pet people. I used an all cotton batting, and I have to say that with this one, I really loved the flat look of the pieced top MORE than the crinkly look of the laundered quilt.   I'm finding that I now have to choose between cotton battings and polyester ones, dependent on the finished look that I want.  I love the drape of cotton, but I enjoy the puffiness of the polyester sometimes, and the fact that it DOESN'T CRINKLE since I tend to prewash my fabrics.  Of course, since I didn't prewash this batik fabric, being that it WAS cut as a jellyroll, it might have crinkled even with a poly batt.

   As far as the commissioning goes, I don't often take on requests, specifically because of the stress that I feel during the fulfillment of them, and also for the plain reason that I like to make what I feel like making.  Sounds pretty selfish, but I'm not actually selfish with the finished product, just how I spend my time.  She meant to make this commission easy by telling me to just make whatever I wanted since she loves any quilting that I do, but I worried the whole time that it just wouldn't turn out to be what she had in mind originally.

  As far as this quilt goes, I grabbed a batik jelly-roll that I have held onto for quite a few years, and was just going to sew it into strips of color-change.  That went just fine until it came time to trim up the left and right sides to add a  border.  Even though the strips showed no sign of bowing, having sewn alternately from each end of the strip,  somehow it just wouldn't trim up right.  I was forced to come up with another idea, so I resorted to the idea of quilts that I had seen where they had cut the assembled strips into columns, turning the center one upside down.

Turns out that I like the new design much better than the original boring one !  Who knew (probably just about  every quilter ever !)

 Mid-piecing I ran out of the black fabric, and found more yardage from a different manufacturer in my stash.  They looked so very much alike that I really don't think anyone will know the difference.  But with  battling tiny bits of the cotton batting clinging to the black fabric throughout the quilting stage, I hope to NEVER use a solid black fabric again !  I'm not even sure that it won't pill, but I told her to let me know if there's ever any problem.......probably scared her to death !

Anyway...........you might not see another quilt from me for awhile, if Spring opens up where I can stay busy outside.  Hope you've enjoyed this series of quilts !




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by !