*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Friday, July 17, 2020

CHARMED small quilt, FINISHED

Yesterday I finished binding the small quilt made from charm packs.  For some reason, I have been off on a lark of using polyester batting again.  I had given it up for YEARS and YEARS, but a friend had some put back, and after helping her with hers, I tried using it again.

Pros and cons.........

Pro Polyester---I love the puffed up look that you get with the extra-loft batting when your quilt top is made up of just squares......particularly around 4 inches square.  I like the unwrinkled, smooth look of the fabric IN the squares, after washing the quilt.  Hand-quilting is an unbelievable DREAM after working with cotton for so long.........this was SO EASY.  A needle just glides through the polyester.
Con Polyester---NO DRAPE.  I sat back in my recliner last night to snuggle with the newly finished quilt, and it just stood out from the sides of my body like it was spring-loaded !  Sadness........oh, the sadness !

Pro Cotton/Cotton Blend---I love the crinkly look of most quilts that have been made with a cotton batting, particularly a really scrappy quilt..........it makes it look like it is already old and loved.
I love the drape of a washed, and then MANY-TIMES washed cotton-filled quilt.  It lies against the body as it should, hugging with the love that was stitched into it.
Con Cotton/Cotton Blend---That same crinkly texture that I have loved for so many years turns right around and disappoints me with my more modern designs that have been straight-line machine-quilted.  They finish with a wonderful linear, crisp look, and then wrinkle all up in the dryer.  Crazy, aren't I ?  I love it and regret it for the same exact look.

So, I guess the lesson learned is that there is a place for everything, and you don't know until you try !

So here's the quilt.

1 comment:

  1. Simple yet very pretty quilt. I really like the fabric you chose for the border. It really goes together well. My preference is cotton batting. I love the way it crinkles after washing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !