*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Friday, August 20, 2021

Catching up with Summer 2021

The majority of the month of July, from the 7th through until August 5th, was spent working diligently, if slowly, on the hand-applique for Jodie Ann's Sunflower quilt top.  I started out to do needle-turn, but when that was not going as well as I'd have liked, I switched to good ol' turning under and thread-basting all of the edges and points, and then thread-basting pieces in place on the background squares.

Most of the pieces had already been cut out, and the backgrounds marked for placement, but sadly the pieces and the marking didn't always align.  The marks were made in pencil, sometimes very darkly, and that was over 25 years ago.  They would NOT erase away.  Some of the marking was even on top of the pieces, as seen on the yellow petals.  I did the best job that I knew how, and I was satisfied with my part in it.  


When finished, I had kept track of atleast 84 hours work.  
That is on the low side of actuality. 
The center rectangle was not found among the fabrics that she had stored with this, so I had to use the closest I could find to it.  It looked closer while piecing, but the density is a bit heavier, I guess.  Her blocks were cut from a very low thread count white fabric.  Hopefully with a batting behind it, and quilting all over, it will not be as noticeable. 
 I danced for joy upon completion, and I got it mailed off as quickly as possible, on August 6th, I think.  Yesterday I received payment in the mail and a few words of thanks and appreciation.  I know that she left many projects unfinished, but I have explained that this will be the last for me to finish.  I hope to stick to those words.  She was as dear as a sister to me, and now has reminded me to get my act in gear with the ideas/projects/fabrics that I have stashed on my own.

So, July passed, with me getting my Jazz 2 on the 12th, and only getting to try out a few stitches on a scrap of fabric.  I wouldn't let myself get into anything serious until that commission was done. 

BUT.......the week of July 4th, I had pieced (on my Singer 15-91) this near-twin-sized top.......

and as soon as the Sunflowers were sent off, I started in figuring out a backing for the red,white, and blue (inspired by a design called "Standing Strong").

I thought I'd just kinda throw together a bunch of big leftover pieces, willy-nilly, and get it onto the basting frame.  But, you know.......I love a good reversible quilt.   

So......THIS HAPPENED.....

Which means that I immediately got to basting it in my big floor frame, and getting it under Jazzy 2's big, generous throat !  
I had no problems straight-line quilting this one, a presser-foot's width on each side of every vertical seam.  She finished at approximately 56 x 82 inches.  

Several items in the free bundle (that was promised with the purchase of the machine) were on back-order, so the commission work was a blessing in disguise (besides helping pay for Jazzy), as it kept me from being antsy waiting on the walking foot and the extension table.  Both of those arrived while I was piecing the backing !   Isn't God good ??????????





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by !