*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Monday, September 27, 2021

Finished in September...Celebrating Coneflowers

The county fair passed before I had quilted this one, so it didn't get entered. 

  Instead I gave them, for display purposes only,

 my red, white, and blue reversible quilt, finished in August, 

and a small quilt that I made in 2020.  

The only thing that I entered in competition was the small ripple afghan that I also made in 2020. It received a blue ribbon, for which I was awarded a $10.00 check !

So, in the first weeks of September I quilted this 50" square quilt on my Jazz 2.  I just quilted in the ditch around all of the geese and the flowers, and then did a bit of straight-line quilting in the background of each flower block.  

 I pieced it a good while ago when I ran across the block design online.  For a while I was torn between a horizontal and a diagonal setting for the blocks.  It was a hard decision, but I went for the horizontal in order to make it more of a wall/decorative size.  The geese were an afterthought, pieced in units where you sew and flip a square onto the rectangle, then another one on the opposite corner, then a rectangle onto the top of that, etc.etc., until you wind up with a column of geese rather than making them separately.

The overall design is terribly busy, but then again it is an explosion of color and jubilation at the glory of God's creation,  I think.  

 I had gotten a clearance buy on these discontinued one-yard cuts of the flower and butterfly print from Walmart, so I decided to piece some together for the backing.  It worked out very well, and allowed the use of a dark binding to tie everything together.  

 

 The large, 12-inch throat space, AND the presser-foot knee-lift, of the new machine made it much easier to do all of the twisting and turning that was necessary to stitch in the ditch around all of the piecing.  

4 comments:

  1. Your cone flower quilt is a real gem. It is a great work of art. You have blessed everyone with you God given skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a precious comment to find here ! Thank you, L.D.

      Delete
  2. All your projects are lovely. I really like the coneflower quilt with the scrappy flying geese. The backing is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciated your comment on my post from today, so I popped over to see what you have been up to . Girl ! You put me to shame ! How much time do all the projects today represent. Please tell me that this is September's work, not just this week !

      Funny, but I had to do some yardwork today too, but I loved it. I finally tackled doing some raking of all the twigs that seem to come down with every rainstorm. And then of course, I had plenty for the burn can, and spent time tending it. This is after washing my car and vacuuming it out. Taking it in for fluid changes tomorrow, and I don't want the young man to think I'm a slob !!!

      I saved your photo of the instructions for the Disappearing Rail Fence. First time I've run across that one. As I filed the photo, I noticed that I had several photos saved from your blog, so you are definitely an inspiration to me. Uh, well, in my mind's eye........of course, IF I ever get around to making 10% of the quilts that I save photos for, I'll have to add on a room. But, such is our addiction, right?

      Love your work, and the quilting on the stars is wonderful. And that coneflower quilt........of course I'm loving that !

      Thanks for stopping by MY blog.....Talk to you next time maybe. Be well.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by !