*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Finished Quilt--Air Mail 'Round the World

Searching my mind and my 'play room' for my next project, I opened a box that had been sent to me by JodieAnn, probably a year before she passed away.  I would have almost NO NEW FABRIC if it weren't for that sweet gal !  Anyway, there were 2 charm packs and 3 half-yard pieces of coordinates.  So I started playing around to see what I could make work with just that fabric.

This is what I came up with.  The fabrics are nice, but the red and white printed background fabric tends to give the quilt a pinkish tinge that I don't care for.
 I got it pieced within a couple of days' time, and grabbed some leftover polyester batting from quilting the embroidered quilt blocks commission.  I seamed some pieces together and basted this one up.

Marley Jo sized

Good ol' Singer 15-91 came through again for the machine-quilting........just straight-line quilting in all of the ditches (seams).

Definitely doesn't crinkle up like it would with a cotton batting.

 Note to self, I have not found a solution for any machine that I use making tucks when I machine-quilt (except during free-motion quilting).   So, now, I use straight pins on whatever seam I am quilting, and place them about an inch apart for 6 or so inches.  After quilting over them, (yes, I quilt over pins), I move them to the next 6-inch section ahead of the needle.  No more tucks.  I am very satisfied with the outcome, if not the extra work.   It's worth it to get something quilted up more quickly than I could quilt by hand.

UPDATE on Spot in the Middle quilt.
 Washed and dried finally........I loved the flat look of this one, and for once I didn't want crinkly.  Well, crinkly is just what I got, of course, with a cotton batting.

Nothing wrong with the quilt..........this is usually what I'm waiting for the whole time I'm making it..........all that lovely 'real quilt' wrinkliness.  Just NOT this time.

Also, for the blog record.....COVID 19 Pandemic has us still staying at home, "sheltering in place", but I do go out for groceries and meal deliveries.  Schools and Church services still postponed for now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dolly, it is always fun to see what you have accomplished! I like to use quilted squares on my end tables. they give me no end of pleasure. Thankfully, we have a craft store where people have their own booths....such a special place to visit. When I see something that speaks to me.....I just buy it and love it. My latest treasure is a small vintage quilt with Sunbonnet Sues. Hope you are staying cozy and that we get over the COVID 19 soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure are keeping yourself busy. My mom would work quilts only in the winter but eventually she was sewing year round. Free time means more quilting time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !