*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Another FINISH--Turquoise Peels !

Unquilted finished top, for full view

Totally finished and IN USE  !

This one has been in the making for about 4 years, I'd say.  I remember sitting in front of the t.v., evenings, with hubby, the last year before he passed, (and that has been 3 years now, unbelievably), me working on it nightly.

For the little blocks, I think that I chose a size and then drew the peels myself, using a plate or something for the curve.  The background squares were cut at 5 1/4 inches, and then after hand/needle-turn appliqueing the peels, the little blocks were trimmed to 5 inches, causing each block to finish at 4 1/2 inches square.
In this photo, I realized that the stencil that I used for the white area turned out to make the lower peels look like the leaves to a flower..........I LOVE THAT !  And this is the first quilt that I have made IN YEARS that was actually FULLY big enough for my bed......it would even work on a full-size, I think.

The finished quilt measures approximately 74 x 96,, and hasn't been washed yet.  I put it straight onto my bed and have been sleeping under it every night since !
I am really pleased with this wave-design stencil that I ordered and purchased from Stencil House.  I bought it in 3 different sizes, and I believe that this is the 5 inch size.  Quick and easy to quilt, and so pretty for the movement it gives the borders.
Facebook memory minders tells me that I took exactly one year to hand-quilt it, inbetween many other projects.

I used a batting that I bought from Connecting Threads, Hobbs Heirloom Bleached 100% Cotton.

This batting is recommended for light-colored quilts, and I really like it.  It has a beautiful drape to it.  It is not really warm, and would make a great summer-time quilt, which this color of quilt lends me to anyway.

8 comments:

  1. I remember this quilt...I loved it so much I was tempted to try one myself, but then I quickly remembered that I HATE applique, lol. No problem, I can always come back here and look at yours.
    Hope you're staying home and staying well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You silly thing ! You'll never have the pleasure that I'm enjoying petting this thing while I sleep under it !

      I don't think my mind actually wrapped around the idea of APPLIQUEING an entire quilt top. It was just a plan on paper, and nice little lap work. Then, VOILA ! Suddenly, after only 4 years.......yeh, SUDDENLY ........lookee what I've got myself !

      Delete
  2. That IS the most Beautiful quilt!! I stopped in from the polka dot chicken blog, saw your quilt header and stopped to admire it. I noticed right off the "leaves" at the side, and then saw you were telling us how you made the Quilt!! Congratulations on creating such a lovely thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Ruth......I hope you stop by again. I much appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful and what a great collection of fabrics. Your previous triangle quilt was so different, but beautiful as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I think that I'll be repeating the triangle quilt, which is unusual for me.....but I didn't get enough 'me time' with it !

      Delete
  4. I remember this quilt! After seeing it, I put on my list to make one for myself, which I did! I love yours so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amy !

      Now I'll have to go peruse your site to find yours !

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by !