*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Friday, May 29, 2020

Solids and Stars

I am hesitant to post this finished top, as I don't know if I'll keep it or gift it.  But I like to journal WHEN these things are made, and since I spent atleast 4 days doing LITTLE ELSE but working on this one, I want to get it entered into the blog archive BEFORE THE WEEK IS OVER.
I have been watching you tube videos from a young lady named Amanda Holmes, who lives in Australia.  She posted a video almost everyday during the month of May, due to the fact that she was home from work due to the pandemic.  Well, one day I spotted these star blocks on her quilt-room wall, and she mentioned them.  I was struck by the simplistic beauty of them.  She never showed the finishing of the quilt, but I caught a quick sighting of it when she did her yearly wrapup of quilts finished.   

I took her design, made my stars, making 3 more than her 9, and then wasn't happy with how traditional it looked.

 Her quilt had NO SASHING ANYWHERE, and as a square quilt, hers looked really good; but lengthening mine with an extra row changed that.  Something in me warred for a twist.  So I messed around and added a bit more of the solids, sortof off-kilter, and this is what I ended up with.  








                            I LOVE IT !

That's why I'm undecided on it's fate ! 

 ***NOTE:  In all of these photos of an entire top, there is a dark green printed star in the center of the bottom row.  Seeing the photos, I felt that it was too dark for the 'flavor' of the rest of the stars, so I replaced it.  The first photo is the finished layout.
  

Finished size of top currently is 52" x 72".  

EDIT:  I finished machine-quilting this quilt today, June 9, 2020.  Considering how to bind now.

1 comment:

  1. What a great fun quilt! I love the layout. Your dark star doesn't look terrible but good for you for changing it to something that your like better, I like it better too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !