*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Thursday, October 28, 2010

What I'm working on......

Jodie, I must apologize if it seems like I misled you.  I said that I wasn't taking anymore commissions for awhile, but this one was a special family request.
My daughter's mother-in-law asked me if I would see what I could do about helping to halt the damage occuring on a quilt that she inherited from her grandmother.  It was a wedding gift to THAT grandmother from HER grandmother on her wedding day.  That means that for my grandchildren, this quilt goes back 6 generations in their family on their Daddy' side.




The quilt has never been washed,
 but some of the fabrics are fraying.
 Also, termites found their way to the back of the quilt, when it was in storage, and have chewed a couple of small holes there. 
I am currently in the process of appliqueing strips of tulle over the fraying fabrics so that they are still visible, but are contained to prevent further fabric loss. 
This one dotted fabric is frayed everywhere that it appears in the quilt.  But it shows up nicely through the tulle that is overlayed upon it.

This green fabric is another one that is frayed wherever it was used.

I left this photo bigger so that you could click on it
and view the finished, repaired block much more closely.






















I am planning, LORD willing, to make a label for the back that will cover some of the termite damage, while at the same time adding a record of the history of the quilt.  Sandra, Kelley's mother-in-law, was able to buy a fat-quarter of solid red that almost exactly matches the quilt's backing.   This was no small feat, since the quilt was made in 1932 or before.





6 comments:

  1. Dolly, thats so wonderful what your doing to help fix the quilt. Your doing a fantastic job, and with your amazing talents, it will come out fantastically!

    On a side note, I cant help but noticing how quilt blocks that were used more than 70 years ago (the log cabin) is still such a popular block today! So very very cool.

    Good luck with finishing up the repair work, I'm sure it will turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and thanks for the comments about my work in progress table runner! I'm excited to get started quilting...but I'm not sure how exactly I want to quilt it yet! I know I want to do the "snow" and the "sky" differently..and I've had thoughts of doing some sort of snowflake pattern in the sky, but I'm at a loss. What do you think??

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that is an amazing and huge undertaking. what a special thing to have from so many generations ago and used by so many

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project, Dolly! It's so cool to have that piece of family history in your hands. Your work is wonderful. What made you decide to lay the tulle over it like that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. dont worry girlie my daughter has a commission for you after the holidays she is almost done with her state flowers embroidery blocks and we are doing aunt gracie fabric for sashes and she said she cant imagine anyone but her auntie to hand quilt it for her. and of course when you are ready i have several more projects i would love for you to piece and or hand quilt. i think the heritage quilt is very important for you to work on. my cousin had one of my grandmothers quilts made into a jacket, i nearly had cartiac arrest when she showed me take care jodie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am in awe of the quilt and its history! How incredible it is!

    Dolly, you my dear, are a wonder!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !