Praise !

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? I Corinthians 3:16
Psalm 31: 7, 8
I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy; for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;
And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy; thou hast set my feet in a large room.


Monday, February 16, 2015

Success !

I have admired quilts online that were quilted in one big continuous spiral pattern, but have feared that if I tried making one, the finished quilt would be distorted.



But I got up the nerve to try it on a baby quilt today, and am happy with the results.  I did run into some moving of the top fabric.....there are a couple of small tucks that I don't think anyone else will notice but me.  But the finished quilt lies nice and flat.......I hope this statement is still true after laundering.

I thread-basted about every 4 inches, but would baste even more closely if I were doing it again.

This is the top that I shared a couple of days ago, pieced completely out of my bin of leftover strips.  I used a solid yellow cotton for the backing, and one of those pieces of batting that I found down at the second-hand store.

I am just tickled to death with the contours you see in a low-light photo.  Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeal !

Finished size------31 x 33 inches.


By the way, the snow went north of us, and we wound up with sleet falling continually from about 3 a.m. until 1 p.m.  There's a buildup of anywhere from an inch to 3 inches of ice around here, so I was very happy to just stay inside and sew.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I just love your spiral quilting it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilting! Tutorial coming soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there will be a tutorial, Dee, but thanks for asking . I didn't take pictures as I went along, and I don't know when I'll do it again. But I started by going about 3/4 of the way around a dime-sized dot that when on the fabric in the middle of the quilt. Then I veered off enough to get my walking foot lined up alongside my stitching. Then I just started following it around and around, placing my gloved hands flat, and guiding the foot. I let myself get a little farther from the stitching as I went along, until finally the rounds were about 3/4 to an inch apart. As I quilted, it looked in some areas as if it was going to be terribly distorted, and I was just glad that the piecing was such a busy pattern. But in the end, it still looks square.......God is so good !

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love the spiral quilting! Now I'm going to have to try it. Love the scrappy quilt top as well. So colorful. Stay warm,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !