I have admired quilts online that were quilted in one big continuous spiral pattern, but have feared that if I tried making one, the finished quilt would be distorted.
But I got up the nerve to try it on a baby quilt today, and am happy with the results. I did run into some moving of the top fabric.....there are a couple of small tucks that I don't think anyone else will notice but me. But the finished quilt lies nice and flat.......I hope this statement is still true after laundering.
I thread-basted about every 4 inches, but would baste even more closely if I were doing it again.
This is the top that I shared a couple of days ago, pieced completely out of my bin of leftover strips. I used a solid yellow cotton for the backing, and one of those pieces of batting that I found down at the second-hand store.
I am just tickled to death with the contours you see in a low-light photo. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeal !
Finished size------31 x 33 inches.
By the way, the snow went north of us, and we wound up with sleet falling continually from about 3 a.m. until 1 p.m. There's a buildup of anywhere from an inch to 3 inches of ice around here, so I was very happy to just stay inside and sew.