Praise !

The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked came against me to eat up my flesh, my enemies and foes, they stumbled and fell. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear....Psalm 27 1-3
Psalm 31: 7, 8
I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy; for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;
And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy; thou hast set my feet in a large room.


Sunday, August 26, 2012

Blushing Bloomers !

Is that just the worst name you've ever heard of for a quilt?  So sorry...........I want to keep the 'blushing' part of the name, to identify with Natalia Bonner's pattern , and there ARE four blooming flowers in the corner of the quilt !
See, there are my BLOOMERS !

Anyway, bad name or not, I finished binding the quilt yesterday, and got to sleep under it last night.  It's been a while since I made a bed-sized quilt with polyester batting, and I can't say that I like it as well as one that is made with cotton batting;  but it's a nice light weight, and warm, and I couldn't be happier with the coloration and design of the quilt itself.

It fits the twin-sized bed very well, although I do need to find a nice eyelet dust ruffle to hide the boxspring.  Finished dimensions are approximately 62 inches by 90 inches.  That's after adding 2 extra rows of blocks to the top of the quilt, and an extra border of pieced strips to each side.  I'm very happy to report that I have almost NO scraps leftover from making this quilt.  I did not use jellyrolls of fabric, as the pattern calls for.......I just cut strips from different favorite fat quarters and yardage, besides using 1 1/2 yards of 90 inch-wide white fabric.  But Natalia's instructions are very good if you have general experience in putting together a quilt. 

For the back of the quilt, I bought 5 yards of a polkadot fabric from theTeddyBear picnic line, found at Hobby Lobby, because I liked the fact that the dots were almost faded looking, rather than bright.  The fun 'mood' of the dots fits the quilt just perfectly, I think.  And as I said yesterday, the binding was made by joining leftover strips and cutting them down to binding width.  

Because of a comment that was posted, I wanted to mention that I used a dinner plate for  two of my 'bloomers' and a 1/2 inch smaller bowl for the other two. The pattern calls for you to come up with the applique shapes on your own.  I liked Natalia's leaves better, but stayed with mine once they were cut
.
I have yet to put a label on this one, or wash it.  That just shows how READY I was for a new quilt to go on MY bed !

Thank you, Natalia Bonner of Piece N Quilt, for a wonderful adventure.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you photographed this on a bed. I never would have imagined the bloomers were so big! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! 18 or 19 days start to finish is absolutely amazing. It used to take me months and months to handquilt a quilt. And it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 19 days! What an amazing accomplishment! It's such a beautiful quilt! Happy and cheerful and will always be a reminder of spring and summer blooms.

    I love the name! Godspeed on the surgery this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a lovely job on this quilt. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you. That is quick work, girl, and what a beauty of a quilt this is. Snuggle under your own pretty blooms ~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute quilt!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love it finished! It's so happy!! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !