Praise !

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? I Corinthians 3:16
Psalm 31: 7, 8
I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy; for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;
And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy; thou hast set my feet in a large room.


Sunday, August 26, 2012

Blushing Bloomers !

Is that just the worst name you've ever heard of for a quilt?  So sorry...........I want to keep the 'blushing' part of the name, to identify with Natalia Bonner's pattern , and there ARE four blooming flowers in the corner of the quilt !
See, there are my BLOOMERS !

Anyway, bad name or not, I finished binding the quilt yesterday, and got to sleep under it last night.  It's been a while since I made a bed-sized quilt with polyester batting, and I can't say that I like it as well as one that is made with cotton batting;  but it's a nice light weight, and warm, and I couldn't be happier with the coloration and design of the quilt itself.

It fits the twin-sized bed very well, although I do need to find a nice eyelet dust ruffle to hide the boxspring.  Finished dimensions are approximately 62 inches by 90 inches.  That's after adding 2 extra rows of blocks to the top of the quilt, and an extra border of pieced strips to each side.  I'm very happy to report that I have almost NO scraps leftover from making this quilt.  I did not use jellyrolls of fabric, as the pattern calls for.......I just cut strips from different favorite fat quarters and yardage, besides using 1 1/2 yards of 90 inch-wide white fabric.  But Natalia's instructions are very good if you have general experience in putting together a quilt. 

For the back of the quilt, I bought 5 yards of a polkadot fabric from theTeddyBear picnic line, found at Hobby Lobby, because I liked the fact that the dots were almost faded looking, rather than bright.  The fun 'mood' of the dots fits the quilt just perfectly, I think.  And as I said yesterday, the binding was made by joining leftover strips and cutting them down to binding width.  

Because of a comment that was posted, I wanted to mention that I used a dinner plate for  two of my 'bloomers' and a 1/2 inch smaller bowl for the other two. The pattern calls for you to come up with the applique shapes on your own.  I liked Natalia's leaves better, but stayed with mine once they were cut
.
I have yet to put a label on this one, or wash it.  That just shows how READY I was for a new quilt to go on MY bed !

Thank you, Natalia Bonner of Piece N Quilt, for a wonderful adventure.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you photographed this on a bed. I never would have imagined the bloomers were so big! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! 18 or 19 days start to finish is absolutely amazing. It used to take me months and months to handquilt a quilt. And it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 19 days! What an amazing accomplishment! It's such a beautiful quilt! Happy and cheerful and will always be a reminder of spring and summer blooms.

    I love the name! Godspeed on the surgery this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a lovely job on this quilt. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you. That is quick work, girl, and what a beauty of a quilt this is. Snuggle under your own pretty blooms ~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute quilt!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love it finished! It's so happy!! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !