*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Moving right along........

.....I've been working on the brown quilt.  I did get to go to the quilting get-together yesterday, and it was SO enjoyable.  You know, I can sew just about anytime I want, for as long as I want, here at home, but there's just something so great about doing it in a room with other people who are as interested in the craft as you are.  There are projects going on all around you, with opportunities to give an opinion (when asked), or share a tip.  You get praise and constructive criticism (if asked for) on your own finished and in-progress projects.   I miss my Oklahoma Outlaws so much, but this was nice !

When I awakened yesterday, to a temperature of about 15 degrees outside and a powdering of snow on the streets, I was afraid that the day's activities would have to be cancelled for me.   I have no experience driving on snow.   But I went out and swept the back porch, and the snow was so dry that it was like sweeping flour or something.  So I reasoned that the road wouldn't be slippery, and I was right.   I got to go at around 9 a.m., and I stayed until about noon.
I worked on the square-in-a-square blocks that are a part of this newest quilt.  Surpisingly, I only got 12 or so blocks done.  I am using the flip and sew method of making the triangles around the square.  After I sew on the marked diagonal line of the squares, I make another seam 1/2 inch outside of that first seam.   That way, when I cut off the corners, I have already stitched together the leftover half-square triangles !  Usually, I throw them away after they've set awhile needing to be stitched together.  This way, they're done along with the quilt, and suddenly I wind up with usable piecing for this or another project.  Maybe I can work them into the back of this quilt.
At any rate, I've gotten to sew some more this morning, and I've finished all of these blocks.  When I laid them out on the bed, I was struck by several ideas for other quilts using this block, and even these colors.
 I never realized how well red and tan went together......too bad I've cut up about all the reds I have.  Time to restash, I guess !



1 comment:

  1. Oh, the blocks look so nice, Dolly! I'm glad you were able to sew with friends, it is a pleasure to do so with a nice group of ladies.
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !