*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Life moves on

I have now been working at Walmart for over 3 months.  This past week I completed the Pathways video training program and received my first raise.  I have to give praise to God for the resilience to do this job, and, hopefully, to do it to the satisfaction of my supervisors and managers.  I like the work, and it has been a God-send in keeping me too busy to focus on James' passing and the life changes that it brought about.

It does feel good to receive that paycheck and know that I am able to keep the bills paid on by own, by the grace of God.

I don't spend much time in my sewing room.  I guess I have time in my mornings, but have been so spoiled in being able to work on a project until it was completed quickly, that I just haven't adapted to sneaking in an hour here and there.

After completing the sixteen-patch top, I purchased a polyester batt to use in it.  I just wanted to get a light, fluffy quilt for Summer, but I'm afraid that time is getting away from me and it will become a Fall/Winter quilt if I finally get around to it soon.  I need to get it basted while I can still do that outside on the carport, but I haven't been successful in coming up with a backing that pleases me.  My girlfriend that provided most of the fabrics has already deemed the quilt UGLY, but I think it will be quite 'interesting' and pleasing to me when it is finished.  My tastes have always run contrary to popular likes.
Honestly, though, it does remind me of the kind of quilt that you find well-used, sticking out of a doghouse, or under a vehicle that is undergoing repair of some kind.   HA !

I still battle to keep the lawn mowed, only using my Friday's off, generally, to get it done.  My garden produced plenty of nice-sized tomatoes.  In fact, it produced more than I got around to using or giving away, and sadly, I have had to throw a few away that got over-ripe waiting for me to eat them.
I have only had one Moonflower bloom this year, and I surprisingly found it in bloom when I rounded the yard with the jeep this morning, heading for Church.

My cucmbers, only two hills, grew well enough for me to make up about six or so little jars of refrigerator pickles.  After that, I think that I damaged them while mowing inside the garden fence, because the ones growing since them have not been as good, some even turning yellow while still small.  But, boy oh boy, do those sweet  pickles go well with supper !

6 comments:

  1. Your quilt is NOT ugly!! Listen to your heart, not your girlfriend. It is a subdued color palette that will soothe and calm the user. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know that. This girlfriend and I have very different tastes, and teasingly, she calls mine 'ugly quilts that turn out gorgeous', and I call hers 'beautiful, but so sweet, they make my teeth ache' !

      Delete
  2. Dolly, so wonderful to see you peek in, even for a moment. I think of you so often, wonder how you are doing...Congrats on your first raise-and your quilt is NOT ugly...I pray for you daily, for peace and strength! Come back soon!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See comment reply above about 'ugly'. Thanks, Jan, you are so sweet to think of me. God is providing all I need. Now praying not to be so lonely at home.

      Delete
  3. Good Morning Dolly, Its good to see your post. I'm glad things are going well for you at work. Praise the Lord for big and small blessings. They can be comforting. I'll bet you are really busy with work and all. I enjoy seeing what you are working on with your quilts...such talent! love it. You have a lovely day....enjoy this weather with me while it lasts. I'll have a good day and then a couple of not so good days...with Parkinsons but God is good, I love HIm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Maggie, God is our constant source in our lives........couldn't, and wouldn't want to, face a day without Him !

      Thank you for the compliments on my quilts !

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by !