*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Introducing the hexes....

....my old hexagons, that is.  These girls were in a pile of offerings when our quilt guild held a little garage sale many years ago.   There were 20 of the blocks, with just a center hand-pieced to a first ring of hexes.   Some of the fabric looks like polished cotton, while some seems to be feedsack material, as they are very coarsely woven, and each flower has a piece of orange solid staying consistent in each block, for the center hex.

 I adopted them, took them home, and promptly hand-appliqued each one to a 6 1/2 inch block.  I had it in mind to sash them or use them in the empty blocks of an Irish Chain quilt.  They got stuck away with other UFO's (un-finished-objects), and I visited them every few years, laid them out, and carefully put them back into storage. 

A couple of days ago, JoAnn mentioned that she was wanting to make a baby quilt, using the Double Irish Chain pattern, and, to finish it off, she wanted to applique a ducky to the bottom of the quilt.  I guess it was the words "Irish Chain and applique" that struck a chord in my brain, and I went to see if the hexagons for MY Irish Chain would possibly coordinate with this current little quilt I'm making. 

Well, the colors weren't what I would hand-pick, but with such a neutral background, I could see that they would spice the quilt up just a bit.  I weeded out the blocks that had too much purple, and came up with 11 hexes that would work nicely.   So I set about UNappliqueing those blocks, and basting them onto this top. 

The sun was out yesterday morning, and the call was just too strong.   I had to sit down in my chair on the back porch and applique just one flower before I could even come out of my robe and gown !   The rest of the day was spent busily elsewhere, watching Christopher and Allysia for awhile, and whatever else seems to take us away from what we REALLY want to be doing, but I got back to them today, and stayed with it until all of them were properly appliqued and beautifully pressed.

Honestly, the prettiest picture turned out to be the one I used in my banner, so I think I'll add it at the bottom of this post (because I know that I'll soon change my banner again...YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE !)but I think that it will be a lovely quilt when it is all quilted and claimed !

3 comments:

  1. This is probably one of my all time favorite quilts! I love the old fashionedness of the hexes fabric and their history and then the "modernness" of the quilt itself. The colors go together perfectly! It looks like you planned this all along.

    A huge success and beautiful quilt, dear heart!

    Happy Easter.
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful. You are always so creative! DO you have quilting ideas for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice finish and a new look for your hexies. It turned out great, Dolly! I don't know if I would have thought to put them together, but I really like it! Good job :-} pokey

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !