*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dimensions of "nearly whole-cloth" baby quilt--2nd

I'm using today's post as a true web-log, to document, for myself, what the measurements are as I make this quilt.  I wish that I had done this on the first one, as this one is coming out a bit smaller.  I've had to guess, since that quilt is in Michigan or Florida, not sure which.

This quilt:
Center square--cut 1 @  20 1/2 inches.
White border frame--cut 4 @ 2 1/4 x 22 1/4. (actually, I marked them at this length measurement, then sewed and trimmed.)  I let each border extend past the quilt center one border's width, ala Judy's star construction.  Look closely at the photo below and you'll see what I mean.....that makes all 4 borders be cut at the same length, rather than 2 short and 2 long.
Corner triangles--cut 2 @ 19 inches square/slash once diagonally.

Top measures approximately 35 inches square before trimming up.....expected to finish at 34 inches square.






Sorry about the bad shot.......the deck's siding is showing through the quilt-top.



The quilting design in the corner triangles is not exactly the same as before, as these triangles are smaller than on the first quilt (you may not be able to make out the design from this photo).  Apparently, I started the other one with a bigger square than 20 inches, thereby causing the corner triangle to also be larger. 

I have the entire quilt marked for quilting now, and just need to see about a batting, iron the flannel backing fabric, and baste the quilt for hand-quilting !  I'll use a polyester batting for good quilting definition.

6 comments:

  1. Good to document! I should do that more often. I need to call a friend re: my snowgirl swap, because again, I did NOT write it down. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that's a lot of time into this tiny quilt!

    I like the fabric, it's so soft and subtle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolly, you are a genius! I love your creativity and ability to follow through. That fabric is sooo lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the fabric on the triangles, very pretty. Can't wait to see more of your gorgeous hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i must be crazy i thought your aunts quilt was one that you made from 5" squares and then did a big border, dah, i really pay attention

    it looks good
    jodie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !