*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Beckoning......beckoning.....

is this growing basket of coordinates.  I'm adding fabrics but still undecided what the project will be.  My Tufted Tweets fabric sneaks in there nicely, so I'm gonna be really picky about what I use it for.

But, in the meantime........Do you ever find yourself just making something because that's what we do?  I mean, sometimes, and more often lately it seems, I just start something that seems to come out of nowhere.  Today's project is made from a little bundle of fabric that I've had in reserve for maybe 3 or 4 years, I guess.  I always wanted a little quilt around for the grandbabies to recognize each Christmas.  I never got it made while they were around my house......that's how it is--when you're busy WITH them, you don't always get to make FOR them. 
Today, I ran across the bundle and decided to try a simple quilt that was similar to the quilt that is being made in the "That girl, that quilt" quiltalong.  I didn't have much fabric, so I just made blocks a few at a time, to see how far I COULD go.  When it came time to try to 'wonky-up" the blocks, I found that it is difficult to get just the right degree of wonkiness without it looking overly planned.  So, I just decided to trim the blocks straight.  When I lay the blocks out onto the bed, I noticed that some blocks seemed larger than others.  Turned out I had cut one strip for the center blocks at 5 1/4 inch, and the other two strips at 5 1/2 inch.  I had to take apart blocks and trim off a quarter of an inch.  So the centers are rectangular, but no one would ever be sure unless I had told them.  Silly little mistake. . 
 
You can't tell the size of this quilt from the photos, but it measures about 36 x 46.  That's such an odd size, unless it's a baby quilt, and I don't really have anyone in mind for that.  We'll see.....batting is so expensive now, that I like to know what the quilt is for before I commit the batting.   Maybe I'll just make it for decorating my own place.......all of my Christmas stuff is SO OLD !

 I think that part of today's experiment was to see if I wanted to use this quilt design for my new basket of fabrics, and the answer is "no".  Not just like this, .....though there is another design that is similar that is calling for a trial.

I want to thank my two readers who made suggestions......and very good ones at that........for this upcoming quilt.   I so appreciate any input.  I'm not used to valuing my fabrics so.......I usually have fabrics so long that I can't wait to put them in ANYTHING !


3 comments:

  1. this little christmas quilt is so cute....it would be great for you to turn into a little throw for yourself. that basket is lovely. i like to keep all my new fabrics out too so that i can ponder what i will do with them. sometimes i think of something and go for it and other times i just end up putting them away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is adorable, I love the kids in their jammies and especially the robot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cheerful....you've a good start on Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !