*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Friday, November 12, 2010

I don't know what it is !

And I don't know where it came from.............somewhere way back in the recesses of my mind, and now, THAT is a scary thought !



I've had these fabrics picked, sitting on my cutting table all week, while other things took top priority this week.  (Let me just say I'm glad that I was only the spectator to the colonoscopy prep !)

Anyway, this morning, I just cut loose, literally, and started chopping and sewing, not knowing where I was going.  The applique especially came out of nowhere, and I intended on hand appliqueing it, and then I thought, "uh, are you daft?  You're going to machine-quilt this thing to death, why are you going to hand-applique?"  Well, that taught me !  So, I just basted it all the way around in the middle of the swirl, and when I quilted, I started by stitching it down first with a free-motion sortof ziggy-zag. 
If you look closely at this piece of fabric, you'll see that it is printed with what looks like machine-stitching on it.  For the quilting on it, I just followed some of the lines as closely as I could.  This has been a hoarded fabric of mine for a couple of years........I don't remember where or when I got the yard of it, but I love the combination of yellow, orange, and a touch of pink.

I snuck in a few little designs among the strips of fabric......I just love doing that ocean's wave-looking design that's in that dark orange piece.....it's even graduated in size !
The little quilt only measures about 18 x 21.......the perfect fat quarter !
Hubby and I also went to the second-hand store today, just to get out in the sunshine for a little ride.  I found a basket of fabrics, and there was a three yard piece of this dark red crackle-paint-looking fabric, and 2 yards of the grassy fabric........I feared the price, but the woman said "EIGHTY CENTS for the fabric and twenty cents for the one skein of DMC floss !" 
I also got 3 vintage pillowcases for 50 cents each, and two cushions to cover for my rocker/glider.   I left a twin-sized sheet that was really pretty with pink roses/flowers all over it.......shoulda got it !
WooHoo !   Must be my week for fabric, huh Cheryl?   Maybe YOU'LL want to come over HERE and play !  My order's scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.....come on over !

4 comments:

  1. Tuesday it is! I'll start out as soon as I wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is a great quilt. i love the strips side just being a little wonky

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors are great. So is the quilting. Are you hanging it or is it for the table?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new little quilt will do a great job of standing in for sunsets and sunrises during the dark days of winter, won't it!
    Congrats on your great finds at the the thrift store too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !