*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Something new, perhaps?

I haven't run across the idea yet, but necessity IS the mother of invention, so I may be one of the first to piece a WONKY zigzag quilt.

The strips from Connecting Threads are RIDICULOUSLY WONKY ! 
I am terribly sorry, Janet, (or anyone else who took my prompt on Cyber Monday) if I caused you to order something that will cause you problems in your quilts..

On many of them, you can tell that they folded them selvage to selvage, which is great, but then they folded them again, before cutting strips.   I ALWAYS AVOID THIS, unless I have done a cut first to make sure that I have a true right angle lined up with the fold.  If not, you almost ALWAYS end up with elbows in your fabric strips......and that AIN'T good !  But that's what I've got here , big time.

So, I studied on it, and played around with the idea of just sewing two strips together the best I can, and then sub-cutting the two pieced 2 1/2 inch strips to get a 4 or 4 1/4 inch square.  I'll lose quite a bit of size on my top, since I should have been able to get 4 1/2 inch squares, but this way, I can turn the ruler just a bit, to work in a little wonkiness, and maybe wind up with something a bit unique.  

Most likely it'll barely be noticeable, as I'm doing color gradations, so the lines between color changes will be a bit blurred.   But it's nice to know that the imprecision caused by their sloppy cutting won't mess up my quilt !

3 comments:

  1. I think you need to call Connecting Threads, describe the problem, and offer to send them a picture. I'm pretty sure they'd offer to replace them.
    Probably had an inexperienced cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tell me if you take Dora's advice. I have yet to open my bundles up and look at them but I know I won't be happy if they are all wonky. I would never blame YOU for their cutting errors! Just because they are offering a great deal on their fabrics doesn't mean they should cut them incorrectly. :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only ordered one set of strips, the rest were fat quarters and charms. You had me worried though, so I opened them all up and they are just fine. I would contact Connecting Threads and let them know. (In any case, if I had a problem I'd never blame you, girl!)
    The quilt I'm finishing up for Sarah is made with their charm packs and I'm very happy with them:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !