*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The BIG quilt top has been started !

This is the quilt top that I will be piecing for sweetie "anonymous" commenter, my quiltie girl, JodieAnn.
It's called "Vineyard Seasons", color-multi, and it was designed by Susan Branch.  You can get the free pattern here.
The pattern makes a quilt that measures 86" wide x 92", long but she wants hers to be 92" wide, also, so that it will cover the mattress on her sleigh bed.  No problem, just another row of pinwheels and alternate blocks down the side, and a few more half-square triangles for the sawtooth border. 
This is me before my iron fell off the ironing board one too many times.  Time for a trip to WalMart........LORD, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the fact that I CAN DRIVE AGAIN !
Yes, I've been hacking on my hair again.....it's a good lesson in humility !
Whacks the vanity plumb out of you !

I got a start on the quilt-top today after trying my hand at piecing triangles with the 'thangle' method. 
I decided to make a sample block just to see how the method worked, and how true my quarter inch marking was.
 But I'm not using 'thangles'.........I'm just drawing the half-squares out, and doing it by that method, where you sew 1/4 inch on  each side of the diagonal lines and then cut apart.  This way I don't have to feed 156 pairs of triangles through the machine, one at a time, to make that border.  I'll probably not do the pinwheels that way, but then again, we'll see.  The accuracy is wonderful.......
......of course, you make them oversized, and then trim them down after pressing open, but I would have been doing that anyway........ONE SET AT A TIME.  This method is much more pleasing to me........I like it ! 
And, when I had to take a break to run and buy the new iron, I realized that all the extra cars parked at the Senior Center meant that today was Quilt Meeting DAY !

Hoorah !   I stopped in to ask what they were working on today.  When they said that everyone was doing their own thing, I bought my iron,











(Note the silicone thingy to put it on.....hopefully now this one won't fall over and off of the ironing board !)


and rushed home to pack up my gear and join the ladies !
I stayed from around 2 p.m. until about 4:30 and got alot of triangles sewn.  It was fun sewing with ladies again, even if they're not MY girls !

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love you with shorter hair and bangs, it brings out your beautiful eyes!!!!

    Sounds like you had a fun and productive day:) I love the quilt you will be making, it's a great pattern. I haven't done the "thangle" thing, but it looks like it works great and saves a bunch of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great way to utilize the pinwheels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so cute! LOVE your short hair. Wish I could go that short, it would be so easy. My 'new' iron falls off the board all the time, my old one never did. BTW - I hate my 'new' iron. So fun that you got to sew with the ladies today. Great quilt you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! how cool is that that you met up with these ladies and got to work on your gorgeous new quilt! such a huge heart you have!

    sorry about the iron. but, praising Him with you that driving is now part of your daily life!

    can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !