*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Saturday, June 5, 2010

EDITED for progress......Good morning friends !

Not alot of crafting going on over this-a-way, but I did manage to get a couple more aprons made yesterday......in between all the other activity-----bill-paying, selling things on the radio, visiting with family, shopping, cleaning !

I had hubby take a photo just now, since the last photo of the aprons just looked like a pile of fabric.   Yes, JoAnn, that is the fabric leftover from your mother's quilt.  I haven't been able to bring myself to use it in any quilts, and thought that because these are going to nursing home patients, this fabric would be totally appropriate.....THANK YOU !

It's just a very simple apron that I copy from the ones that I make hubby.  I never used a pattern.......it's just a  rectangle, with curves to narrow it for the bib.   I cut 2 1/2 inch strips across the width of the fabric for the neck strap and the ties.  I cut one strip in half for the ties, and one strip in half for the bib strap.  The apron itself is the width of one side of a width of folded 40 inch fabric, so I cut 2 aprons at a time, and 3 strips.   I sew the strips inside out with a 1/4 inch seam and turn them, and just hem all edges of the apron, then attach the straps at the appropriate spots.

Lastly, I sew a label inside the bib (when I remember) so that the patient's name can be written and the laundry will return it to the right person.

It's no big deal, I know.  Hubby uses these for every meal since his strokes, and is wearing them out.  While making him some new ones, I ran across bigger pieces of fabric that would be appropriate for ladies too, and since I see my friends often at the home, I thought they could use one too.  I hope to get one made for each of them, (men, too).

On the family front, there's a little BIG news.  When I came home on Wednesday after being out, the hubby said, "guess what happened while you were gone?"........and then he started crying !   I thought, "oh no, what's happpened.......I had to go out, oh, why did I leave him?"    He says, "no, it's good !    I had a call from my niece, Judy !"  Well, he has been trying to locate this particular niece and her two brothers since we came home over a year ago........I guess they're the last close family members for him to be reunited with after 30+ years.  We've sent out letters and had them come back.   Apparently, she had called a family member this week, just to see how things are going, and that person told her we were back.  She called someone else and got our number !   After talking to her uncle, she called the two brothers of hers, and by evening, hubby had had a call from all of them.   I told you it was a glorious day, didn't I? 
Praise the LORD !

Now, on to quilting !    I've just remembered that Autumn Taylor turns 2 years old next month !   She came over yesterday, and the two of us played dollies with the new quilt I'd made, and I think that I need to make HER a little quilt of her own.   Hopefully, I'll spend today in the sewing room starting that little project.  Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.........you too, Wanda Gayle !
Thinking of making it child-sized........possible layout.

3 comments:

  1. so happy for you that you have found your family members! this is a gorgeous little dolly quilt and those aprons are lovely. i like the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so cute modeling the apron! It is so sweet of you to make them for your nursing home friends, I'm sure they will love them.

    Such a blessing that your hubs finally found his niece and nephews:) That's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dolly, Your aprons are just a great idea. My Mom wore large bibs after she had her stroke...and the aprons are so much more 'adult'..and who doesn't love how practical aprons are. My husband and I wear them lots of times at the table to save our clothes from getting dripped on. =) What joy you & your husband must have had from hearing from Judy and her brothers. Showers of blessings...indeed.~~ I love how you create such treasures...and so quickly! I have so many 'irons' in the fire here...but I still hang on to my unfinished quilt that I pieced so long ago. There used to be a Dr. show on the radio where people would call in with their problems...oh did I love that show. I'd sit and piece my quilt top by the hours with such pleasure. Loved your post Dolly! You are special!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !