*******************************************************************************************************

“I have given skill to all the skillful, so that they may make all that I have commanded you. “ Exodus 31:6


“O Thou who art the all pervading glory of the world, we bless Thee for the power of beauty to gladden our hearts.
We praise Thee that even the least of us may feel a thrill of the creative joy when we give form and substance to our thoughts and, beholding our handiwork, find it good and fair. “.
Walter Rauschenbusch


*******************************************************************************************************

"Come, and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.
I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the LORD woud not have listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, Who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!" Psalm 66:16-20
*******************************************************************************************************

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Goodbye JUNE !

Well, I guess this year is half over now...........wow, time sure flies when you're ........ gettin' old !

Anyway, time for a progress report
PINWHEEL QUILT---day two:






I got up and got right to work, after morning coffee, Bible reading, and bed-making, that is.  I laid out yesterday's squares to be cut in half diagonally.  I found that placing five per row, in two rows, made it quick to cut apart.......or so I thought.  Later, when piecing other sets, I cut all cuts without moving anything........cutting on all marked pencil lines (after the stitching, I mean) .  Then I picked up the triangles and pressed them open.  I also changed my trimming up procedure.








For these red pinwheels, I trimmed all of my half-squares on all four sides, and then pieced the pinwheel blocks. 
For these yellow ones, I trimmed the two sides of the half-square that are caught in the seams, and then after piecing the block, I trimmed that finished block's outside edges, to make a neat 6 1/2 inch block.  I think I liked that method better.  Look at the photo of the yellow blocks being pieced......it's funny.....the pattern calls for some of the blocks to purposely have one odd background triangle. 
The quilt pattern also actually called for the alternate blocks in the design to be pinwheels, pieced from two very similar background fabrics........Jodie and I discussed it and said, "what's the point of doing all that piecing for no contrast?"  So this top will have whole alternate blocks using some of one fabric and some of the other.























Anyway, what I started to say was that as soon as I started working on half-squares, I remembered that I had missed "APRON TUESDAY", so I had to stop and make atleast a couple of aprons.   I got out these two pieces of fabric, and made vicey-versey aprons.  There is a married couple at the home that share a room, and I may just give these two aprons to them.....thought it would be easy on the launderer, realizing that the matching aprons go to the same room.

Now, a little bit more comment about irons.  I was a little bit embarrassed yesterday to show that I had bought such an inexpensive iron, but hey, let's get real.........I've always been a Black and Decker kind of girl !  Actually, my favorite irons are those old black and chrome General Electric HEAVY irons, but you have to get lucky and run across one of them at an estate sale. 
But I bought the second cheapest iron that Wallyworld had, the cheapest not having a non-stick soleplate.
Let me tell you, I REALLY LIKE THIS IRON.  I had not used the steam feature on an iron in awhile, because I don't like to take the chance of distorting my patchwork, but I found steam to be a very good friend while making the aprons.  I double-turn all the edges for hemming, and I like to iron them in place before I stitch the whole thing at once.   Usually, the pressing comes out before I get to the stitching part, but thanks to the steam, I was really set today !

And I realized, finally, why my iron is always toppling to the floor !   It used to be blamed on my other cat, Mimi Louise, jumping from the ironing board, but China doesn't do that.  But this ironing board was here when I moved in, and I think that it's from the 50's or something. ........... funny, but it's made by Procter-Silex,

too, just like my new iron !  But,MAN,  IT WOBBLES.......TERRIBLY ! 

Today, I got smart, once I realized the problem, and parked it against a wall, with a prop under one foot for stabilization.  BECAUSE.........I can't use my silicone thingy the way I intended (to let the iron lay on it).......the booklet that came with the iron tells you to always set the iron upright on it's end, even when storing !  But I CAN definitely use it for traveling back and forth to quilting days, and I won't have to wrap the hot iron in a towel.......just place the silicone thingy in the iron's box before putting the hot iron in there.
So, well, I still am really pleased with my new purchases AND today's progress.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Dolly! Great progress. Try chain piecing, it will really speed up your pinwheel production line. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got alot done today! Now ya see, I threw away the booklet that came with MY iron from WM. That way I can set it on its side, or upside down if I want to. Did I mention that I hate my 'new' iron? Well, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolly, you are so inspiring! If we were neighbors...how much more I might get done. Hubby is supportive in all my endeavors but not ultra interested if you know what I mean. I am trying to get used to my new cascade drop spindle which cost a bundle....its rim weighted and not nearly as easy to spin with as the cheaper variety...but it does spin a finer more consistent single ply of yarn. I've enjoyed seeing and reading your quilting post very much. I've a big box of quilting patterns and fabrics underneath my sewing table. Eventually maybe?....smile. Hope you have the happiest of days. This is our wedding anniv. today, but we have a funeral to go to this afternoon...first. bye for now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. so happy you're making such lovely progress on the quilt and when I read about where the aprons are going! God loves such a big heart like yours! ironing is not a cool topic, but I love the confessions (you sound so much like me and our expenses!)...wishing you smiles and sunshine today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by !